Green soup is one of my absolute favorite things to eat. I make a HUGE batch of this soup almost every single week because
it is so tasty and nourishing. Since fall is already here in New Jersey, it will be much easier to have soup with a chill in the air. I have to say that I have had green soup for all three meals, at all times of the day, especially when my schedule is shifting and I’m hungry for something hot and full of veggies. I love keeping it on hand for when I get home late from the hospital and have not had dinner. It is easily digested so I can get to bed without a belly ache!
Besides being warm, comforting and creamy (without dairy!) it is also an awesome way to get a ton of veggies into your diet easily. Plus you can throw just about ANYTHING into it and it turns out delish!! TONS of spinach, yummy antioxidant rich sweet potatoes, beta carotene hearty carrots, aromatic onion, germ fighting garlic….the list goes on! As an added bonus it only takes about 20 minutes to throw together. Are you sold, yet?
I do not have a name for it other than ‘green soup’. But since this great soup helps me feel energized, strong, and nourished on my healthy journey, even when I am on the go AND you all know I am an autoimmune warrior…..I think I will call it Warrior Green Soup. What do you think?
- 1 onion diced
- 3/4 cup of carrots diced *(want to add celery too for a full mirepoix? Go for it..it’s delish-I just didn’t have any this week!)
- 1 bell pepper (green, purple, red, whatever!)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 6 cups of spinach (Can use any greens you have..kale is another favorite)
- 1-2 tablespoons of your oil of choice (I use coconut oil or EVOO)
- 3-4 cups of liquid (broth or water)
Add ins: extra garlic, a handful of basil, any extra veggies you have lying around!! That’s the beauty of this soup!
1. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery in oil until onion is soft/translucent
2. Add sweet potato, zucchini and saute for 4-5 minutes
3. Add your liquid and bring to a simmer. Add spices like Himalayan sea salt, fresh black pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, red pepper flakes….whatever strikes your fancy!
4. When veggies are fork tender, add your spinach and cover, allowing it to get soft and wilt but careful not to over cook the greens. You want them nice and green still!
5. Turn off heat and puree with immersion blender or in your standard blender!
6. ENJOY! YUM!
I love to top this with a few slices of avocado or shred a little chicken over the bowl for a protein boost. Soo good. You can also make it Be Well Cleanse approved without the bell pepper! I first made this soup when I was cleansing and just kept making it every week after because it was so awesome!