Have you tried the easy FIVE STEP method to making awesome salads? I am sure you are already on your way to delish salads every day. But, there is ONE final thing that can make or break your amazing salad. That is the dressing! If you are starting to incorporate more greens into your diet, a daily salad is such a great place to start. Way to go! Most days of the week I have at least one salad. But, I used to think my home made salad was never quite as good as when I purchased it. Until I made ONE big change. Making my own dressing!
I used to like salad but once I started making my own dressings, I started LOVING my salads. As you know, just one turn of the dressing bottle can negate a lot of health benefits of those leaves if you aren’t paying attention. Making my own dressing is my way of keeping my salad healthy and tasty!
Here’s why YOU should make your own dressing today:
- You know all the flavors and ingredients you like so you can tweak the dressing to your specific tastes!
- No unnecessary sodium, sugar, or added scary ingredients (emulsifiers, soy protein, even gluten..ick!) to bring down your healthy meal
- Cost! It is so much more cost-effective to make your own dressing, especially if you are eating at least one salad per day or cooking for a family.
- It is SO easy you will wonder why you didn’t do it before
Here are a couple of my favorite go-to’s that are super simple to keep on hand!
Super Simple Balsamic
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (Trader Joe’s California Estate Olive Oil is my favorite!!)
- 3-4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (Dijon or Seeded Mustard is best)
- 1 clove minced garlic (or 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic from jar. Try Tessemae’s!)
- Also try seasoning dressing with a little sea salt and coarse black pepper
Easy Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup if you like a sweeter dressing
Quickest Dressing EVER (makes enough for one salad)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together and drizzle away!
A few final tips for dressing your salad:
- Make sure leaves are nice and dry. If you don’t already use one, a salad spinner will change your life. I’m serious.
- Whisk the dressing together for a good minute or so until the oil is REALLY incorporated into your dressing.
- If you are using ‘heartier’ leaves like raw spinach, kale or even arugula let your salad rest with dressing on for just a few minutes before diving in. It will help soften up these tougher leaves! If you are using soft lettuce, make sure you dress salad right before you are serving so as not to make it soggy.
- Keep it simple. You don’t need 85 ingredients in your salad to make it satisfying. Fresh greens and a good home made dressing can be all you need to make a great tasting salad!
Now, these dressings are what I like. But you may not like as much balsamic, or maybe you have a different vinegar at home. Be liberal with the measurements! Add other ingredients you think will work. Tinker and mix until you think your dressing tastes awesome!
I would LOVE to hear from you! Did you try my Super Simple Salad Rules? Did you try one of the dressings? Let me know below!!